Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hard drives- the bane of one's existence?

*This was written a few days ago.

"Bane"- according to Webster's online dictionary, is the killer, slayer, poison, death or destruction of something.  Bane is one of those good old words. In a sense, I suppose, one's existence is defined by time, so in this context, I am within my rights to proclaim that HDD's are the bane of my existence.

Explanation follows.

Snookums has a new PC. All nice and shiney. Her HDD, however, was part of the problem so we hooked a new one up. The old HDD had lots of data, which I (finally!) finished transferring tonight (Sunday, Feb 3) to another drive. As I write this I am wiping the old drive- yay! There's still a bunch of deduping that needs to happen, but I found a program in our inventory that may do the trick- this remains to be seen. What stinks, though, is that when I look at the old drive, it misreports itself, showing 0 bytes of data and 0 gigabytes of capacity. I think I need to contact Western Digital about this and see if I can get a warranty repair. Hey- it could happen.

Before I get to the database, I wanted to go back and revisit my blog goals. I had said that I wanted to get a hit from every continent this year. I'm not sure if Google can track Antarctica, but if not its still okay. January had visits from North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. So, that means I still need to score some readership in South America and Africa.

I  STILL don't have a front end for the database, and this bothers me, partly because its inconvenient, and partly because I'm not too skilled with building them just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment