Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Batch v2.0

I figured I'd go with a very "I.T.-sounding" title for a change, and quite honestly, anytime you throw out verbiage resembling "v2.0", it implies that this is the new and improved version of something, and it should be checked out. I'm glad you've stuck with me thus far, as I'm about to possibly let some of the wind out of your sails of enthusiasm: this is not about a new an improved app or some software product. It's not a Python library or a Hadoop project.

Actually, it's short for the decidedly unsexy sounding "Bachelorhood Revisited", which is more less where I find myself this morning. The short version of the story is this: Jennifer's Mom had an upcoming medical procedure which required at least a one day hospital stay, and then some assistance once she got home. As Jennifer was pretty much the only family member available for these tasks, she flew over and is spending pretty much all of May with her folks.

So this leaves me in an odd state of quasi-bachelorhood: on the one hand, I can come and go whenever, turn the lights on in the bedroom at all hours, and generally don't have to be to quiet when I come in. Those are the "pluses".

In the debit column, I have to take care of the bills, meter reading, garbage- pretty much everything household related that Jennifer normally does (of course, she helps out tremendously in a remote capacity). I do some of the cooking and food prep... not much, really, but much more that when she's here. I do the vast majority of the dishes, and all of the laundry. And I have to warm the bed up all on my own. This all happens before or after work and on what passes for a weekend.

In summary: this bachelor thing is for the birds. I can't wait for her to get back!

Data news: I've been watching the (free) Google analytics for my blog, and I'm at a loss for this month's performance, which is a personal best for me in terms of viewership: with a little over a third of the month elapsed, I've surpassed my previous record month by 9.2%. And there are over two weeks to go! Woo hoo!

Lego data news:  The Lego spreadsheet continues to grow and evolve. I finished the count on the white 3001 elements (the basic, ubiquitous 2x4 Lego brick); next on the list are the red 3001 elements. The current grand total stands at 1792 pieces. I should note here that when you're holding some of those nifty molded ABS plastic toys in your hand, they are not parts or pieces or bricks... they are elements.

SUL news: The Secret Underground Lair officially has all of its furniture repositioned in the new and improved floorplan. There have been some unofficial murmurings, however, that one more move may be in the offing, although this would require disassembling my half of the office. The jury is still out on this... more news as it becomes available.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment