Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Technology, at home

This is probably only the third post out of almost two hundred that I have scrapped completely and started afresh. While the title is still valid and likewise the topic, what follows will be a world away from the original.

Let's face it: in some of our quiet moments, the only voice we hear is our own. And it is not necessarily the voice of reason. To be perfectly clear, the old post was honest and told of my experience with one well-known manufacturer of computer motherboards. And although their tech support is legendary with well-documented internet tales of fail, I will neither name or accuse them.

Reason?

It's all about the internet, which is as close as we have come to eternity as mortals to date. In simple terms, what one posts online does not go away.

Ever.

So, I try to keep my online musings fact-based, as well as my complaints. One never knows who will be looking at a particular post, blog, tweet or review.

And, what does all of this cryptic musing mean?

Jennifer is once again having some issues with her PC that Mr. T and I built for her a while ago. It was fantastic at first, but then she started experiencing mobo USB bus failures. We RMA'ed the board, and after a few months the same problems cropped up in the replacement board. Lately, she's been having a number of audio problems.

To make a long story a bit less painful, the plan is to scrap my planned gaming rig in favor of a multimedia rig for her, and I get her current headache until we're ready to get me a new PC. It's actually a win all around, because her PC is very new compared to anything I'm currently using- except for my laptop, which is another story. And, my audio and USB requirements are rather light in comparison to hers.

The laptop is currently DOA, waiting for an operating system. I've completed the hardware replacements and upgrades. All that remains is a fresh Win 8.1 install. I was originally going to downgrade the machine to Win7, but ran into a brick wall with the BIOS. So, I will try to reinstall Win8.1 and should have a report on that (complete with some pretty cool pictures [the heatsink on the the primary videocard is a thing of copper beauty]).

There's not much else in the works. Mr. T is getting tired of the state of the Secret Underground Lair so much that he has taken it upon himself to learn the basics of Microsoft Visio. He's made some progress, but to be totally honest, we still need to move some stuff out of the office.


Lastly, I'd like to share a picture of something that Mr. T and I came up with. I got a Lego Friends set for dirt cheap at Sam's Club, and it had some neat parts. However, it also had these two girls (Emma and Natasha, I think) who seemed like great zombie hunter role models, so we humbly present the Zombie Hunter Lego Friends of 2015.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment