Sunday, May 15, 2016

Axl Rose, and Data.

It's been busy at work lately. And the rain has been frequent. And... it's Springtime in my little corner of the world. Consequently, our lawn got a "little" out of control.

(Spoiler alert: this post contains references to Guns 'N' Roses and their songs... 
and a few other musical references!)

Jennifer was kind enough to help out and mow the front lawn, which is what everyone passing our home sees. The back... well, that's another story- and my bailiwick.

My time had arrived. It had not rained for over a day. I looked out the back window and saw the grass blowing like Dust in the Wind. As my gaze landed upon the compost bins, I had to rub my eyes because I thought I saw a black tophat sitting on top of one of the compost bins, and a bandana on top of the other. I shook my head, blinked and looked again. Without warning, the yard had gone from broad daylight to a starless night. The yard's verdancy had turned to a monochrome with rough-cut video quality- I kid you not!. Our neighbor's white fence had been replaced by a gaggle of Marshall stacks, spotlights were illuminating the compost, and Slash, with trademark shades, ciggie and Les Paul, and partially obscured by the output of several smoke machines was furiously spewing out riff after riff, while Axl crooned, "You're in the jungle, baby" as he seemed to float over the grass. I covered my eyes, and shook my head. When I looked again, the moment was over. My yard was green, and back.

Seven Marshall stacks- fourteen cabinets and seven heads 
 Sheesh! Less Monster, more cowbell... maybe.

So, I cut the grass. Yes, it was long- long overdue for cutting. I'm not certain how long it took to complete the task, but I had to make several trips to the compost to empty the mower's bag. When that was done, I decided to tackle another yard task: the ivy. And, to be fair to the myriad of horticulturalists, botanists and assorted green thumbs in my audience, I'm not really certain what this plant is. It has dark green leaves, a woody stalk, and will sprout roots along the stalk. It's also quite capable of climbing. So, we've decide that it must go.

I got most of it off of the red mulberry. Now, technically the mulberry should be a bush, as it has multiple trunks. This one, though, is ~30' (over 9 meters) tall, so I call it a tree. Many websites also call it a tree.

Our Mulberry last Winter

I put the mower back in the garage, and grabbed a pair of leather gloves, a few yard waste bags and some clippers, and proceeded to tear into the ivy. For reference, the bags are constructed of a double walled heavy brown paper, and are approximately 16" x 12" x 35" (40.6cm x 30.5cm x 88.9cm). I filled five of them, and I'm probably only about one-third of the way done. This was sometime last week, and since then, we've had rain at least four times, so the next time I tackle this project, the stubble from the first round should be visible, which should make the next phase a bit easier.

Finally- data! (Sorry, no data pictures!)

On Saturday morning (May 14th), I FINALLY completed the 1st phase of the Lego Peeron data normalization! Speeds and feeds are appropriate here, so here we go!

The original Peeron database I'm using is from March 19, 2012. It contains 18,510 parts (rows). After the first passes through the data- in which the data started out as a text file, and then was converted to an .xlxs file, and then the data had its initial cleansing where a "base" part number was created- the data ended up totaling 16,218 parts. It should be noted that this not a fixed number, as there are more parts that need to go to the "Stickers etc" worksheet. I also want to emphasize that I am cleaning data and not normalizing; after all, all of this data still resides in an Excel file, so it is still a flat file. My next task is to impose order onto this file, so that will require the creation of a unique part number. This part number will be the primary key once it is imported into Access.  

Before any of this happens, I need to come up with a standardized format for my unique part number- currently called the "DB_Tracking_Number". Ugly, but good enough for now. I can't really automate this, once again because of the lack of standardization in the Peeron data, and my attempt to impose my own personal spin on Lego organization.

So, for now, I have ~ 16,000+ part numbers to create.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.



No comments:

Post a Comment