Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Don't panic

*I started writing this a day or so ago, but Blogger was having some serious issues, so I didn't get to finish it. It's sort of the digital equivalent of "the dog ate my homework".

It's only fitting that I mark Douglas Adams' 61st birth anniversary with a blog- or is it a blog entry? In either case, as my database is named Forty-Two, it's only fitting that Mr. Adams gets some props here.

I need to make a small disclaimer here: in real life, had we the chance to meet and talk, he and I would probably not have gotten along at all. After all, he described himself as a "radical atheist" and, while my faith is not radical, I am a Christian. I grew up reading and appreciating science fiction, though, and I'd more likely than not have major disagreements with most of sci-fi's heavy hitters. Harry Harrison is another favorite of mine, and we, too would not probably had many nice words to share, although I do love his writing. Gordon R. Dickson (the Childe Cycle, a.k.a. Dorsai) is another favorite, as is Roger Zelazny (Amber). Oh, well.

I've been doing some thinking and planning regarding the addition of the Lego data to Forty-Two. As it is currently formatted, the Excel data is not viable to move to Access cleanly, so I need to delete a few columns, and proceed with caution. I will also need to add at least one more table, which will contain the data that is going to be deleted.
More fine print- "Abandon hope!"
Fine print- "Are you sure?"

Speaking of databases, I've been contemplating for some time moving the database to Access 2007. I'm told it's as easy as "open" and "save as". We'll see about that... I know this works just fine with Word and Excel files. Maybe not as smooth with Access, I see. LOL! Looking on the bright side, it didn't Blue Screen on me, and the smoke detector did not go off.

Anyway, the deed is done, and the database has been saved as a 2007 file- apparently not compatible with earlier versions. No biggie, I suppose, as I won't be going back or updating in the 2003 version. The biggest thing I've seen in the short time I've had 2007 installed is that the files are much smaller than their 2003 counterparts- and when I say this, I'm comparing identical files that have been saved in 2003 and 2007 formats.


No comments:

Post a Comment