Thursday, December 5, 2013

The #hourofcode is coming, and Happy Anniversary!

This is my eightieth blog post, and also marks one year of blogging which- in many ways- amazes me. Firstly, I am amazed that I stuck with this. I don't really remember why I started the blog, but I'm glad I did. Its helped to develop a dimension of discipline that was nascent. Always there. Just waiting for the proper stimulus. Next (and for me this has a certain 'WOW' factor), this post marks the realization of the only goal that I had set for this blog: to have at least one viewer or reader on each continent (excluding Antarctica)... the person that made this happen lives in Trinidad and Tobago! Excluding the United States, I've managed to reach folks in thirty-five countries! And lastly, I've always thought that I possessed some ability at writing- probably not gifted, but possessing the ability to tell a story and turn a phrase.

I therefore extend a heartfelt and humble thanks to all who have taken the time to visit my little corner of the Internet and read my musings.

Okay, time to put the party favors and balloons away. I'd like to switch gears and talk a bit about coding.

Next week, Dec 9-15, is Computer Science Education Week, and a highlight of that week which practically everyone can participate in is The Hour of Code 2013. Of course, those who are not necessarily will cry, "but coding is so [fill in the blank]".

Well, don't fret, because coding isn't [fill in the blank].

For starters, coding IS for everyone. If you can do basic mathematics, you can code. If you don't know what to do or how to get this ball rolling, visit http://csedweek.org/  Its important for this to get out to everyone... coding is not necessarily easy (after all, you actually have to invest some time to learn how to do it), but it is a much in demand skill, and can be quite lucrative. The icing on top of this virtual cake, though, is the cost: many popular languages can be acquired for free, and instruction is also free online for many. Watch the video- chances are you'll recognize someone there (*I'm a geek; I recognized several). will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas had a great programmer plug- "Great programmers are today's rockstars".

So, what's happening @the Secret Underground Lair? Well, we've played a bit with VB, HTML and a few other more obscure environments in the past, but starting next week we'll start looking hard @Python. I'm pretty excited about this; I hope my enthusiasm is contagious!


Lastly, a few links to older blogs- enjoy!

http://hochspeyer.blogspot.com/2013/02/hard-drives-bane-of-ones-existence.html
http://hochspeyer.blogspot.com/2013/02/it-old-school.html
http://hochspeyer.blogspot.com/2013/02/normal-is-town-in-illinois.html
http://hochspeyer.blogspot.com/2013/02/is-it-steamy-in-here.html
http://hochspeyer.blogspot.com/2013/02/its-time-for-rant.html

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.



No comments:

Post a Comment