Monday, January 13, 2014

Migrating hoodies, or, This Pi has flown

I still need to write the Year in the Blog review in which I present some numbers about the blog and prognosticate, or something along those lines. No solid thoughts, as this will be the inaugural post of this sort. I have the numbers, I just haven't crunched them yet.... I've been working and shoveling snow. Someone has come up with the rather clever mashup of a name Chiberia (Chicago+Siberia) in honor of the extreme temperatures we've experienced in the area over the past few days. While not quite Siberia, it does make one wonder a bit about the concept of global warming: Chicago normally doesn't experience extreme lows like this because of the warming effect of Lake Michigan.

But the twin topics of weather and hoodies, I am brought back to the thought of migrating hoodies. As noted in my Darth Anna post, the HVAC in our office is challenged, so I normally wear a hoodie for around half of the time I'm working. The other half of my evening is spent with my sleeves rolled up desperately trying to cool off. During the cooler parts of the year (later autumn, winter and spring), I'll generally wear a hoodie as a layer of my outerwear, and during summer I'll carry it in my backpack (the backpack and my bag are another story altogether!).

This migration has given me a certain insight and possibly empathy with some concerns that modern nation states and I share vis-a-vis migrations. I think it is a given that most countries frown upon large incursions into their sovereign territory by itinerant groups. In a similar manner, I become increasingly distressed as time passes and the hoodie population at the foot of our bed increases. I don't think it has ever gotten past three garments, but the hoodies are seemingly relentless in their quest to squat on the bed. So, once every week or so, I am forced to grab some hangers and put the hoodies on the rack in the basement where they belong. They get there because our home office- the Secret Underground Lair- is always cool, and being something of a freezy-cat, I often don a hoodie whilst working and/or playing there. When I go back upstairs, the hoodie I'd been wearing generally accompanies me, and ends up on the bed. Worse, I work nights, so I often go to the office after "normal" work hours. Not wanting to disturb Jennifer, I grab a hoodie from the rack, and when it is bedtime, the hoodie catches a ride to the bedroom with me... and the following night, this behavior is sometimes repeated.                                                                                                                                                                            
So, the end result is an aggregation of hoodies at the foot of our bed!

In data news.some got done, and much remains.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.                                                                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment