Sunday, January 5, 2014

Working out vs. Training

Technically speaking, the snow that fell in our area from December 31, 2013 to January 2, 2014 was a two year snowfall- after all, it took all of one year and part of another to fall. I'm glad it all fell when it did so I didn't have to drive in it. Well, it spanned two years, as Ryan astutely observed.

Yesterday, in the wee hours of January 3, the streets were pretty clean and the temperature was 3F (-16C). Jennifer and I had planned on going to the gym earlier, but the streets were still quite the mess, so we stayed home. On the 1st, we took a walk of ~2 miles (~4.4km), and after dinner I shoveled snow for about thirty minutes. I shoveled again on the 2nd, probably around an hour or so. I drove to work in not quite blizzard conditions, but by the time I got off at 0700, the wind was gone and the temps were in the low 20's (~-6C).

It is now technically the 5th of January- I say that because in my world its still Saturday (yesterday). The temperature is around 30F (-1C) and heavier than its been in some time. When I got home from work earlier, I made a path from the back door of the house to the garage- I'm interested to see what that looks like on Sunday.

That's all for now. No data. I'm just tired. :)

Addendum-

Sunday evening, and the all that is left of what turned out to be a pretty serious snow storm is a few flakes. It's tough to say how much the final total accumulation was due to drifts, but it was at least an additional 5" (~11cm). The path I had shoveled when I got home was gone- probably under a foot (over 26cm) of new snow in some spots. Jennifer got out the snow blower and I grabbed a shovel and we moved snow around for a few hours.

We had hoped to get to the gym today; we're uncertain if it was even open. Public works was out in full force plowing snow, and the streets were barely navigable. The high point of out day was when the snowblower ingested TWO plastic-wrapped newspapers that were buried in a snowbank. We had quite a laugh about that as we extracted the shredded, impacted remains of the Chicago Tribune from the impeller.

My final bit of weather news: the National Weather Service has issued a wind chill warning for the rest of tonight and going in to tomorrow. Wind chills could hit -40F to -50F; great weather factoid: the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales apparently only match up in one place- -41, so I won't bother with the metric equivalent here!

As always, I am hochspeyer, part-time amateur meterologist, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment