Saturday, August 22, 2015

Goals are great- results are better

(I started writing this last Sunday... the 16th! It's been a fairly busy week.)

Well, it's Sunday night. I find that Sunday night is often a good time to reflect on the previous week, especially as Sunday has turned into my "weigh day".. The problem is that Sunday night for me == Monday morning for most "normal" folks. Well, not really, but my schedule is a bit screwy- which is why why my fitness tracking is also nonstandard.

Like most folks, I have a regular work week, doing my job from Monday through Friday. The difference is that my Monday starts when most "normal" folks are considering going to bed (around 8 p.m. [2000])...and this is why my macro tracking is a little odd. Back to macros-


After three weeks, I've decided to track macro Monday thru Friday only. There's a couple of reasons for this. First, the schedule: I don't normally have sit-down meals with the family- most of my calories during the week are taken in at work, and these are easily tracked. Saturday is a short, one meal day, and Sunday is my carb reload day. Yup, I'm a bad boy "dieter"... which is why I've blown away my weight loss goals (in other words, I'm not dieting- I'm on a fitness program)! My stated goal (at the beginning of this venture) was 10lbs (~4.5Kg) dropped in 4 weeks. This is officially the end of the third week and I've lost 15lbs.


To be honest, I don't think my approach will work for everyone- or forever for me. For starters, you've got to have the mindset, the attitude, that you WILL do this. Your initial goal has to be reasonable, believable and be fairly short term. In other words, it HAS to be doable- you won't succeed if you set yourself up to fail (if you don't believe me, look up the Battle of Midway, Operation Market-Garden, or any  one of countless other military failures based on an unreasonable, complicated goal)

"Sort of" addendum:

It's now Saturday afternoon the 22nd. As one may surmise, it's not been a good week for writing. My sleep has been odd, I've been limping around a bit and generally pretty busy at work. Of that group of three, only the last one is desirable. This will be all for now- stay tuned for some exciting news which will be published in the next blog!

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment