Saturday, November 14, 2015

Hello, Australia... and blogging

I've mentioned this at least once before: blogs don't always go according to plan. This is my 188th post, and to my credit or dismay, I've probably only scrapped a handful of original ideas for updated ones in that span. I've changed my mind before words ever hit the screen on a number of times- at least ten, including this one, but have only totally scrapped ~five blogs, including the most recently published one.

So, what is up with the shout out to Australia, one might ask?

I might ask that myself, if I only relied on the data I receive from Google about this blog.  However, Blogger is only one part of my online marketing strategy. LinkedIn, Twitter (and Facebook) and most recently Pinterest, round out my online strategy. At this point, it would be fair to ask, "Why does a blogger need an 'online strategy' at all?" And how does Australia fit into the grand scheme of a single blogger?

For starters, I like to look at the big picture. I was pleased beyond words when I touched six continents in one year with this blog (Antarctica still eludes me!). My blog has been read in over fifty countries, most of which do not have English as their primary tongue.

And, even though I currently write for fun and not money, its better to have more readers than fewer readers.

So... Australia- continent, country, attitude.

In the current Google rankings, Australia ranks 24th in my worldwide blog readership. However, as I've said, my blog is only one part of my e-presence. I'm seeing a fair amount of attention in the Twittersphere (@CJoelHarrison) in Australia primarily because of some retweets about coral reefs and related Australia-specific marine science. My Pinterest account (www.pinterest.com/hochspeyer) has not seen much activity from Australia, mainly because Pinterest doesn't seem to emphasize locations. And, there aren't many infographics that I've found on the Great Barrier Reef.

So that's what I've got- in terms of casual analysis- on Australia. To my e-friends "down under", thanks for the likes and the blog reads!

Finally, I'd like to close with a very candid photo of Mr. T in action. This is a photo from our back yard of Mr. T and "Smokey". Smokey showed up recently in our yard. He's a very friendly neutered male around 2-4 years old. We think he might be a cat that actually belongs to someone, but he has no problem taking food and water from us, which leads us to suspect that even if he has a home, he is being neglected. He's a delightful little animal, and he's actually come up to our back door. It pains us greatly, but we can't let him in, as we know nothing about his medical condition. We don't want to expose our little group of cats to whatever Smokey might have. We're going to try to get him picked up by one of the local cat rescue societies.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment