Monday, November 2, 2015

Sunday Night

By the time I finish this, some of my readers may be well into Monday morning (actually it will be closer to the following weekend!) . If you're one of these folks, I apologize. Because for me, Sunday night is about relaxing.

Surprisingly enough, there's a backstory here: this is the first weekend in five where I have not worked on Sunday. In other words, I've worked thirty-four days in a row.To be completely honest, I'm not crazy about the hours, but Jennifer and I love the pay. OTOH, I've had checks that were smaller than the Federal witholding tax I was assessed recently.

So, here it is, Sunday night. The end of the week. My first free Sunday night in five weeks. What am I up to?

Besides writing a blog, I'm catching up on some music that I haven't listened to in some time. That, and playing Railnation.

And today is now Thursday. After my first weekend off in five weeks, I've had overtime every day this week. And for those of you who might have missed this: depending on personal circumstances and job requirements, my coworkers are not always able or willing to take overtime, and when this happens, it falls upon whoever is available to pick up the slack. And even though I do not program jobs as often as I'd like, I'm familiar with so many of the jobs we do, as well as those we do for other plants, that I'm often called upon to pick up the slack in quality control.

And I do this partly out of a sense of duty and partly because I have a familiarity with a broad base of jobs few others in my department possess. And, to be completely transparent, I like the money.

I need to close this and get on to the next great adventure in my blog... whatever that may be. It's been a week since I started this, and as you might guess, I worked another Sunday. So, the tally follows: five of the last six Sundays I've spent at least some time in the office. Now, before anyone gets into the "evils of capitalism" or "wage slave" mindset, I'd like to remind my readers that although I don't always enjoy OT, Jennifer and I certainly do enjoy its benefits. And, as I live so close to the office, in the end the benefits ($$$) far outweigh the liabilities!

That's all for now from the Secret Underground Lair. As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment