Monday, May 13, 2013

The alphabet, I.T. style

If you've ever been involved in any sort of industry or scholastic discipline for any amount of time, you've probably come to realize that there is a ton of industry/discipline specific jargon out there, and adding insult to injury, in the world I live in, there are a lot of acronyms. Not are there only acronyms, there are generally-accepted TLA's (three letter acronyms), shorter two letter things and even one-letter language names.

I suppose I should back up a bit here and try to define what I'm personally out to do.

I'm interested in data, plain and simple. Getting to the data, interpreting the data and presenting the data raises additional questions for me. So, ... I think my blog needs to take a few sideways steps; partly to help me keep track of where I'm going, and partly to keep the blog interesting.

So, for starters, I try to keep these posts relatively short (*if too short, please let me know via comment!). I also try to keep them relevant- right now, primarily about my database. I also usually start out with some pretty normal accounts of the day or past few just to keep readers from falling asleep!

I've been thinking, though, about my I.T. journey- where I've been, where I am and where I'd like to be. I've also considered this blog to be a vehicle to disseminate arcane I.T. information to the masses (*I fully realize that "the masses" don't read my blog, but it 's a handy reference for those that do!)

So, without further ado, away we go!

The wonderful world of  I.T. is populated by all sorts of people ("peeps"), hardware and software. In my world, spheres collide, and I interact with peeps, hardware, software,  hardware gonks and software gonks... and I'm fairly certain this list is incomplete. FWIW, my definition of a gonk is a human that interacts with computer hardware and/or software.

So, I'm going at the data somewhat backwards... in an attempt to see how data is driven... or drives. Which brings me to HTML, or Hypertext Markup Language, which is one of the few four letter acronyms that I know. HTML is THE language of the internet, so this is where I am starting my "formal" coding. I'm playing around with HTML and hope to have a test/dummy website running sometime at some point. The challenge is not getting this site running, but rather making it large enough to learn from! I have a few books on HTML, CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and web design, so, to slightly paraphrase Walter Matthau's character in "Hopscotch", "I'm loaded for bear!"

Finally, a few numbers from data: 9508 rows with a primary key assigned (just a bit over 39%), two new tables, and some added data in the database. Change from last count- approximately .05% growth.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment