Thursday, May 30, 2013

Why, 2K!

Well, it's been ten days since my last post... which, in the blogosphere, is the half life of an eternity, I think! Today's title is in commemoration (actually anticipation) of 2,000 views of this blog!

This makes me happy.

In addition to looking for a job, building Forty-Two, working nights, blogging, HTML5 and working on the Lego spreadsheet, I've also been doing some stuff on Twitter ( @CJoelHarrison ), and am looking at PHP, MySQL and Apache. I'm not sure as yet where the last three will fit into the general scheme of things, but I'm thinking that adding these last three to my software skills can only be good.

As far as blog data goes, I'm still amazed at some of the locations of my readers. When I first started out, I had a goal of at least one reader per continent by the end of 2013. As a writer, I'm not sure how much control I have over who reads, but I've tried to make it as interesting and universally appealing (within the constraints of being semi-technical at times) as possible. So, with five months nearly gone in 2013, I'm happy to say the last frontiers for readers are South America and Antarctica. Shameless plug: if anyone knows folks in either of these places, I'd appreciate a recommendation! 

Finally, the database has grown by .5% since I last took a look at the numbers earlier in the month, and the Lego spreadsheet has not been touched. Most of the database growth has occurred in one table- Songs. As I'm getting deeper into this project, I'm finding that it is quicker and easier to take a single book or piece of music and extract all of the data, rather than working in the main table and going back and forth opening, saving and closing multiple tables many times over the course of an evening's work. That's the theory for today, at least.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment