Saturday, June 1, 2013

Not Quite 2.0

For those who have visited blog in the past, you'll notice a new look and feel to the blog; I intend for the changes to make it a little more readable. As always, your thoughts and suggestions are welcome (as well as ideas from newcomers). And as much as I would have liked to call this new look v2.0, so far all I've done is used Google's tools and images. I'm not sure if any other sites out there (Wordpress, for example) are any better or easier, but my first experience with a fairly major update to this blog was pretty painless.

For starters, there's the new background, which features a bunch of chrome dumbbells. I selected it not merely because I'm an on again, off again weightlifter, but because of the symmetry and neutral colors that shows text nicely. Speaking of text, I'm not 100% settled on any of the colors. As this is blog v1.5, the colors chosen were standard Google recommendations. When I'm ready to do this again, I think I will consult with Jennifer. And even though I'm the designated color-picker in our home, only a fool does not seek the counsel of others. I've also changed the background color of the blog to a shade of grey, which looks more readable, as well as making the area available for text slightly wider. It is my hope that these changes will result in a more enjoyable blog reading experience. I've also put solid backgrounds on the sidebars for the same reason.

 I worked on both the database and the Lego spreadsheet yesterday, but don't have numbers to post. I did discover something that needs a bit of tidying up in a table, though. The Songs table, which contains nothing but song titles has a number of records that start with "The"- "The Word" (The Beatles, Yesterday... And Today). My naming convention is for articles (a, an, the) to go at the end of the record (Word, The), so I've got a small amount of fixing to do. Like many things, I found this totally by accident: I was entering a title, and before completing the entry scrolled up to check if had already been entered. And there they were. So, either tonight or tomorrow this will get fixed. 

Well, one of the cats is having her illogical morning crazies, looking up longingly at the intersection of two walls near the front door, occasionally yapping- and then suddenly darting towards an imagined something-or-other.And, although I can't see the bottom of the mug just yet, my tea is nearly gone, which can only mean one thing: time to pack it up and head off to work.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment