Monday, July 8, 2013

Pop! Goes the ... CD?

In doing the background for this post, I discovered that the song Pop! Goes the Weasel has a bit more history than I was aware. It originated in England sometime prior to 1850, and started out as a folk tune, complete with an associated dance. And I'll bet you thought it was all about a jack in the box!

As mentioned in my earlier blog A tale of two PC's , I spent the two day Fourth of July holiday helping Daniel get a new PC and getting it set up. Saturday and Sunday were scheduled work days for me (I knew this weekend was going to be an adventure, because although the presses were shut down on Friday, our customer was open for business). On Saturday, I got to the office at noon. I had told a coworker that I'd try to be in a bit earlier, but I was still dragging from three consecutive VERY late work nights and then the two days of PC adventures. I met the new guy, and we talked and I showed him some things, but owing to some software issues, I could not work on the actual jobs I was there to work on until about 1400. Once my other coworker was able to finally get some jobs compiled, I started in. I don't know when the new guy left, but Javier and I were there until 0400 on Sunday morning. We came back later on Sunday- he at 1230 and me ~1330- and we completed our epic, Herculean tasks of the weekend.

The sad thing is, this was not the first sixteen hour day I've worked.

Pop! Goes the CD happened as I was leaving work on Sunday morning. When I left at 0400, the sky was a predawn blue with a slight breeze moving the humid air about. I removed my yellow foam hearing protectors as I stepped out of the plant, and I heard the happy chirps and calls of the birds which were apparently busy getting breakfast. I put my lunch bag and backpack into the passenger seat of the pickup, got in the driver's side and started the engine. I had not even got out of the parking lot when Pop! Goes the CD happened.

Several months ago I had borrowed a CD from Daniel, Tenchi Muyo in Love. I popped the CD into the player in the truck, and all was good (I think the soundtrack is excellent). When I was done listening to the music, I went to eject the CD. The blue eject light and button were no longer lit, and did not work. Over the next several months we tried to no avail to eject the CD.

Flash forward to Sunday morning, 0400ish. I am ready to pull out onto the street when without any warning or intervention on my part, the display panel opens up, the blue lights light up and out comes the CD! I am both flabbergasted and pleased, and quickly grab the disc, put it in the console and drive home.

Now that the midsummer holiday has come and gone, I should have more time to devote to working on the database and HTML, CSS3 and Javascript. Emphasis on should.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment