Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The State of the Blog- December 31, 2014

I had to start this a few days early. A year in review always needs to be written/filmed/whatever before general release to the public.

Before I get any further into this, I'd like to thank all of you out there, somewhere in cyberspace and colocated somewhere in the real world, who have taken the time to read these blogs... maybe once, maybe as a regular. I hope you'll all come back in 2015, and hopefully share this blog with friends, family, colleagues or the person you don't even know who sits next to you in the library, internet cafe or your own version of the Secret Underground Lair.


Speaking of the SUL, the last of the shredding is done. Hurrah! As mentioned in my previous blog, this was a goal for today. The other two goals- the motherboard replacement and the monitor testing- remain unmet. However, I did get in a great walk today, almost hitting 10K steps, so I've got to consider it a very good day as far as tasks accomplished are concerned. I've since swept up the majority of the shredding- vacuuming can now be performed. 

I think I've just hit upon a goal- a resolution- for 2015: to get the SUL ship-shape once and for all. Earlier this week, Mr. T and I discussed relocating his desk, and I said that it was his desk and space and if he wanted to rearrange it, the relocation was fine with me. After I cleaned up most of the chaff mess shown in the photo above, I took some quick measurements with a tape measure and everything should fit the way he proposes it. We may even have room for the little cat tower that Jennifer has suggested relocating to the SUL. As I was sitting here writing this, I noticed an external HDD connected to this very PC is sitting on the desktop UPSIDEDOWN!  No worries, as it sits on the vertical plane rather than horizontal, but still... it's bloody UPSIDEDOWN! We also have other equipment we need to either rearrange, reconfigure or recycle. I also have an ethernet cabling reorganization that needs to happen. I've already done a preliminary design, but now need to modify it (hint: my cabling is currently hung from the rafters [with care] with paperclips). It is quite functional, but I'm looking for a bit more sturdy design with a bit of the Steampunk, industrial look. We'll see how that goes.

Finally, for the folks who come here for the data, I've got some speeds and feeds for you. I'd also like to give a quick shout out to Dr. Lee Baker of ChiSquared Innovations whose gentle blogging of stats has helped me to remember that the unifying theme of this blog is data. So here we go.

There's still a few days left in the year, but the writing is pretty much on the wall.

As far as fitness goes, I've blogged about the screw-up I had which resulted in the loss of a great deal of pedometer data. While the loss of this data is not huge in the overall scheme of things, it taught me to download data often and to back up whenever the opportunity presented itself. In these areas I have improved but am still far from perfect- the SUL remodel of 2015 will help with this, as one cable I'm missing (and am convinced is in the office) is the pedometer data cable. So how was walking in 2014? Well, I've got a pretty complete dataset for the second half of 2014. The pedometer records data in the following areas: steps, aerobic steps, calories (kcal), distance and fat burned. I'm going to extrapolate a bit, but here's how the year will end up:

Steps- 5800 (goal- 10K)
Aerobic steps-316 (goal- 1K)
Calories- 542 (no goal set)
Distance- 807km (no goal set)
Fat burned- 2125.5g (no goal set)

It should be noted that these numbers represent a six month period. They will be a little higher by the time the New Year rolls around, but I'm willing to say they are representative and call it a day.This is also the area where I'd normally report database stats but that project is currently in the air, so nothing to report.  I hope to be live with some data soonbut that all depends on life.... :)  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to. 




No comments:

Post a Comment