Monday, June 3, 2013

Decaf programming

Well, not really!

I know that's probably a big surprise, but I think that in addition to education, experience and creativity, caffeine is widely regarded as a necessary component of programming. Well, that's not necessarily true... I think.

I got up fairly late Sunday morning, as I had worked pretty late Saturday. We'd had a good amount of rain for the past five days, but at least one weather forecast indicated that today was going to be dry, so I had planned to cut the grass and then do some yard work. Well, that didn't happen, as not long after I got up, ... it rained. I popped open a 1.5L bottle of my preferred carbonated Polish mineral water and sat down in front of the computer.  When the water was gone, tea followed. Jennifer opted for a nap, and I sat down for some quality time with w3schools. I got to playing (for the first time!) with Javascript inside of HTML5, and I had quite a lot of fun with a simple exercise. Jennifer got up, and I had her assist with something that I got stuck on, and life was just plain good. We went off to Sam's, picked up a few things, and the evening was pretty much a database and spreadsheet night. And for those who might be wondering... I do have a life. Between the data and spreadsheet, Jennifer and I had an exquisite fried chicken dinner and watched a few episodes of Eureka.

I've also started a blog timing experiment. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've read that certain times of the day are more effective for blogging than others. In the past, I had normally posted around midnight or a bit later in my time zone (CST= -6 GMT). I think this was pretty good for European readers, but did not make my blogs immediately known to North and South American readers. So, I'm doing some experimentation, trying to ascertain what is the best time to post to blogs. I'm thinking I'll probably do a major post once to cover LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook, and then do Twitter posts a few times after that.

My time hack for today is 1250 CST.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment