Saturday, June 8, 2013

Spinning Wheel

Yup, that Blood, Sweat and Tears title pretty much describes my Thursday. And actually, the story of Thursday starts in the waning moments of Wednesday night....

So there I was, finishing the last job that I needed to get done. My mind was already set on packing up when a coworker asked if I could do one more. "Of course," I replied, instantly adding two hours to my evening/night/morning- I think an advanced degree of some sort is required to explain when I work. In any event, I ended up being the guy that turned the lights out. At 0300.

Thursday morning, I got up sans alarm around 1115, and was more or less awake. I finished my lemon juice, and then made a nice cup of tea. My idea of a nice cup is a bit on the dark side- there are areas on the ocean floor of the Marianas Trench that are lighter, I think. Thusly fortified, I checked messages on the cell phone, checked email, and over lunch had some stress relief on a few Facebook games that I like. Lunch was a couple glasses of milk with some boneless skinless chicken breast, followed by a bowl of ramen. I attempted to return a phone call to an employment agency, but ended up with voice mail. After that, a phone call to a financial institution about a document I had faxed a month earlier, and then refaxed because some information was missing.

And this is where the wheels really started losing traction....

Someone at the financial institution had made a very nice Microsoft Word form. Back in May, I had filled out the form and faxed it back. I waited a few weeks, and then called them. It turned out that they had never received the form, so I refaxed it a few weeks later, and this time I called and confirmed that they had indeed received it. Fast-forward to Thursday, and I get a call from the institution saying that a piece of information is missing- I say, "Hold on, let me pull up the form." And I do. I say to the person that all of the fields are filled out, to which she replies, "All but the social security number." We talk a bit more, and as we chat I try to put the number into the field.

However, the field does not exist. So, I write it in the small box, and fax it off. I call back in an hour, and yes, they have received it, but no, they cannot read it. Arrrrrgh! So, I write it in VERY LARGE NUMERALS in the field immediately to the right, and refax. I call, and they say they cannot use this because it has to be in the box... the really small box. Jennifer suggests making a label with our P-Touch labeler; I fax this off, call, and we are now in business.

I have done more unpleasant things, but its been a while. Adding insult to injury, during that time, I was unable to do anything noteworthy to HTML, the spreadsheet or the database. Hopefully I can get something done tomorrow- Sunday. If it rains, the grass won't get cut; if it doesn't- some yardwork will get done first, followed by some good tekkie stuff. Until then...

My timehack today is 2210CST.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment