Friday, September 20, 2013

Never ask a geek a question that you really don't want answered....

For those readers who may be geeks, you've probably either seen this before, or actually done it yourself. For those of you who are not geeks, this may apply to your particular realm of expertise as well, and you may find yourself nodding in agreement. For those who are the posers of the questions, you have our collective pity, because geeks are hard-wired this way. Well, some of us are, anyway.

Jennifer was checking her Twitter feed the other day and saw something unfamiliar, so she asked me about it. What is PHP? I replied that it was a programming language; a better answer might have been "it's a scripting language," but that would have been more appropriate for Mr. T rather than my wife. I also told her that there was a book about it in the bookshelf next to the dining room table and gave her the approximate title. Then, just to make sure I had given her the correct information, I found the link on Amazon and sent it to her. I waited patiently- it had to be at least two minutes, and then I texted her, "What, no PHP love?"

Predictably, I did not receive a response.

A long time ago, I had a boss who once said of me, "I once had another employee just like you: when I asked him what time it was, he told me how to make a wrist watch."

My particular genus of geek doesn't get a lot of love when it comes to things which we are able to expound upon. However, I am not unique in my immediate family in this regard. Most all of us will regale the unsuspecting poser of an innocent question with facts, details and minutiae on our particular areas of expertise or interest at the drop of a hat. Jennifer, for example, knows a lot about a lot of things. With her geology background, she'll be more than happy to explain why (as I understand it, anyways) there's no such thing as sand. Nope- just sand-sized particles... and don't even get her started on "jungle." Daniel can wax long and eloquently on cinema, manga, and console video games, as well as Eighties and Nineties pop culture. Mr. T keeps abreast of the business side of gaming companies, and can hold his own in a video game discussion with Daniel. He's also involved with computer graphics cards and game graphics.

Me? Trivia in general- military and music in particular (anything before the 90's- you know, the good stuff), as well as all sorts of PC and software related stuff.

You've been warned.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

*And in my spare time, this weekend I'm web host shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment