Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wednesday night at the gym

Tuesday night I got called in to work fairly late, starting at 2100 and finishing up Wednesday morning at 0545- I wasn't kidding about working odd hours. As Jennifer and I had planned on a few errands in the morning, I decided to stay up until stay up until she got up. As I had gone in late, she seemed only slightly surprised to see me sitting at the computer when she emerged from the bedroom. I explained my thinking, and she agreed. She had a quick cup of coffee, and we took care of our errands. We got back, and I hopped in bed, emerging sometime around 1830.

I made a cup of tea and grabbed a yogurt out of the refrigerator, which has become my standard preworkout feeding routine. I think that after honey, strawberry is my favorite yogurt. As I mixed the strawberry into the Greek yogurt, though, I found that the yogurt had become frozen. As it is written on the internet, this gave me a sad. Undaunted, I mixed the strawberry into the yogurt as well as I could, but there was a stubborn block of yogurt ice that resisted all attempts at assimilation. Undaunted, but by now a bit hungrier, I grabbed a smallish saucepan and filled it about halfway with water. Next, I put the yogurt into a bowl, and place that in the saucepan which was now basking on the stove over a low fire. Then, I stirred. 

I'm going to say one final thing about yogurt, and then it's off to the gym. Friends, if you're an amateur, leave the yogurt freezing to the yogurt freezing professionals. I did end up with yogurt, and it was pretty good, but instead of that smooth, pudding-like consistency I had expected, I ended up with a dairy product that bore a certain similarity to cottage cheese. Here in the United States, cottage cheese generally is available as a large curd or a small curd product. The best way to describe my yogurt was nano curd: a great deal of liquid had been separated from the solids, and those solids can best be described as curds: not unpleasant. Just unexpected and odd.

Jennifer told me that she had already gotten her workout for the day done (we have an elliptical and some free weights in the basement). It was around 2000 by the time I was ready to hit the gym- I asked if she'd like to come as it was my cardio (track) day. She said, "sure", and so we got our gym duds, grabbed our bags and drove off into the night to the gym. We arrived, got our towels from the attendant, and went off to our separate-but-equal locker facilities and changed into workout shoes.

The park district's rec center has a very nice outdoor track with .5 and .75 mile courses, and the longer one loops around a pond. I like to use this track on Sundays and on evenings when I don't work in the summer. However, its officially autumn here, and the sun is down fairly early so Sundays are the only times I have to use it now. For all of those other times, there is the indoor track.

The indoor track is very nice- it has a joint friendly rubber-like surface with three lanes, one each dedicated to walkers, joggers and runners. Its like a balcony above the two basketball courts, with netting which allows for safely viewing the courts without falling on to them or getting struck by errant basketballs. The thing that is peculiar about the track is the length: 1/11 of a mile. There was a basketball game going on this evening when we were there, and some of the fellas had some pretty good shots, which made the walk a bit more interesting. When I finally finished, Jennifer informed me that I had taken an extra lap, so I ended up with twenty-three... I've got to figure how the lap function on my watch works!

Its been some time, but I finally have some database news. While thinking about this blog, I had some time to work on the database today. I started populating a table that's been sitting empty for some time, and in the midst of data entry I had an idea which sounded good at the time. I quickly created another table, put some data in it and saved it. Next, I went back to the other table and created a lookup and saved it, then went back to data entry. After only a few entries, it hit me that the lookup was not only unnecessary, it was also potentially creating a small mess. I should have tested it before creating it, especially as Access forces the DBA to save whenever changes to a table's design are made. I deleted the relationship and the lookup, and all is good again. One more table and a little more data.

That's all for now. As Always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment