Monday, December 31, 2012

December 31, 2012: The State Of The Blog

Well, it's the last day of 2012 in my neck of the woods, and so I suppose its appropriate to do something of a year in review blog. In January, I was an employee of RR Donnelley; as the year comes to a close, I am a contractor at RR Donnelley.

A "real" job, with benefits, would be greatly appreciated!

This past year also saw the creation of the Forty-Two database, as well as this blog. Both are important on a few levels. The database, currently Access 2003 format, satisfies my need to know exactly what we've got in the house, as well as telling me exactly what my favorite music, books and movies are. Everyone has been here before: you're chatting with an friend or maybe a casual/new acquaintance, and the question is posed- "So, what's your favorite book/author/band/album/movie/genre?" When asked, I often answer a certain way, but if I look, for example, at Windows Media Player, I find that my answer does not always jibe with reality. So, the database gives me a reality check.

The blog was somewhat unplanned, but is for me a natural outgrowth of the database and my job search, as well as giving me an outlet for my desire to write. This is all still very new for me, so I'm not sure what if any netiquette applies. I don't want my posts to be too long or frequent, as I believe this would dilute whatever demand or interest there may be in my writing. Its also a bit stream of consciousness, in that not everything is about the data or the database.

And going back to my last post, I spoke with tech support at the reseller (where I purchased the DOA computer) this morning. I never did receive the Windows XP SP3 recovery CD, which should have arrived this past Saturday at the latest. They will be sending out a replacement PC on Wednesday. I hope!

Lastly, I'd like to throw in a plug for Goodwill. A Goodwill store opened up in our neighborhood this year, and our family visits it at least once per week. Sundays and Mondays they have special discounts, based on the color of the price tag. Today, I scored six albums (7 CD's) for all of seven dollars before tax. This makes me happy.

And two of the albums were factory sealed.

Believe it or not, I think goals can be set for a blog. With a grand total of five posts and no comments, I'm going up on the soapbox and putting a goal out for 2013: I'd like this blog to be read by at least one person on all seven continents. I am fairly hopeful that this can happen, as I've had traffic from three continents in less than a full month.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment