Thursday, April 18, 2013

Potpourri

I think today's post has a lot of little things, so potpourri is a good title. There were others I could have selected- miscellany, odds 'n' ends, and melange came immediately to mind, but I settled pretty quickly on potpourri because of the warm connotation it seems to carry.

Today started off with a National Weather Service (NWS) flood advisory. Although we've seen some serious flooding in the time we've lived here, so far we have been blessed to not have suffered more than inconvenience by waters gone wild. So, we take these things seriously- Jennifer made a quick breakfast and we got everything that needed to get done accomplished by noon. It's been raining on and off, accompanied by impressive thunder and lightning ever since. It is supposed to stop some time Thursday (tomorrow).

I was able to get a bit more straightening done in the basement as well today. The problem I've discovered with organizing is that, in the middle of it all, the mess is really horrendous. Still, there are a few areas where the progress is marked- the Secret Underground Lair, for example, is a bit neater.... The Dungeon, though- I've got weights in there, somewhere, under a lot of boxes that are staging areas for stuff. That's the area where all of the work is occurring, so it will be the last to be neat.

I mentioned in my last communique from my command chair behind the NOC that I was taking the HTML plunge. To be honest, the first few days have been rough, but this morning I had an epiphany regarding code. I had been having some brain cramps with getting the code to post as something that actually looked like a web page rather than just code. I finally figured out that my file name needed to end in .html to display properly. Once I got this, I was happy, but then.... Well, then I discovered that once I saved the code as an HTML file, it was not editable in the plain jane text editor I was using. So, I sat in front of the keyboard this morning, doing a lot of copy/paste and proofreading code to see why it didn't work. I finally figured out that I needed two files: one .txt to write and modify code, and one .html to actually display.

Lastly, I got a bit of database work in tonight. I added a few records to the Publisher/Manufacturer table, and also added a few URLs. I also added a few movie titles, and noticed that the ISBN seems to be going away from movies; that doesn't bother or surprise me, but it is one of the pieces of data that I track. The final piece of good news is that my DBA honey do list is a bit smaller tonight.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment