Sunday, October 12, 2014

Autumn, Mr. T and WTF?

It's my thinking that new blogs are often gestated in the final closing thoughts of a blog that is on the cusp of publication. Such is the case with this post.

I got off work fairly late this past Saturday morning, which was fine as we had a scheduled appointment with our HVAC guy to have our furnace checked out. As I pulled into our driveway, I decided that autumn had officially arrived, as there was a light coating of frost on the grass which was still in shadow. Once our furnace was given a clean bill of health, I finished editing my previous post, published it and went to bed.

The previous evening, Mr. T did something he had not done in some time- he got up on his soapbox and donned his virtual "little professor" white lab coat (I've been doing some cinema/television references of late- the "white lab coat" is an homage to The Angry Beavers "Stinky Toe" episode in which Norb acquires the dreaded "stinky toe", and Daggett vows to find a cure; Dagett finds and dons a white lab coat, and one of the scientists observes that Daggett MUST be a scientist because he's wearing a white lab coat). I  was pinned to my chair in the Secret Underground Lair for fifteen minutes while Mr. T waxed eloquently about video games and video game characters, specifically comparing and contrasting Deadpool and Duke Nukem. To be honest, I have scant familiarity with either, but Deadpool has been in the news of late, as there is a Deadpool movie coming out sometime next year. This is particularly interesting to me, as actor Ryan Reynolds will play the Deadpool character, and my good IRL buddy comedian Ryan D. Reynolds is a huge Deadpool fan.

In actuality, Deadpool has been a fairly hot topic for over a week. When Ryan's not doing stand-up comedy, he supports himself by being a custodian. As his job is not particularly fast-paced, we sometimes have time to discuss things like Deadpool. Ryan's been on a quest to lose weight, and to date has dropped a significant number of pounds- I don't have exact numbers handy, but I believe he's dropped ~10% of his mass YTD (and he's NOT a small fellow). In any event, the casual reader is by now thinking, "WTF does this have to do with Deadpool?"

For starters, I love the concept of "the aside", even though I don't always return to the topic at hand. As Ryan has lost weight, his clothes have started fitting differently. He's been cinching up his belt so much that his beloved Punisher buckle broke and so he was forced to purchase a new buckle... you guessed it: Deadpool.

He and I had been discussing all of this when the topic of the Deadpool movie came up. Now, frequent readers of this blog have probably grown to be accustomed to my writing style and the fact that I keep it pretty clean. I've addressed this at least once before- its not because I'm a prude, but because I want as many folks of all ages and backgrounds to be entertained and informed by my blog. However, "WTF" came up in the discussion Ryan and I were having about Deadpool, so it is worth at least a quick recap here....

Here's the rub: the proposed rating for the upcoming Deadpool movie in the United States is PG-13. As I've said, I know little about Deadpool, but apparently he's quite the snarky, womanizing, violent one-liner wielding human weapon of mass destruction, and many an interwebz commentator has been so dumbstruck at the PG-13 rating as to respond in the only way possible: WTF?

I, however, do my best to keep my online persona pretty clean. Even though I might be thinking "WTF?", I generally make every attempt to be polite. In light of the fact that there are so many three-latter organizations out in the world- many of which few have heard of- I came up with my own: the World Trade Federation. Ryan said he would use Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot to get around the autosensors, but when he heard my solution, he had to laugh and said it was brilliant.

That's it for today. No data to report; I did spend some quality time in our IRL archives and culled out quite a bit of old billing statements, so I give myself a pass.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.   

No comments:

Post a Comment