Sunday, February 28, 2016

Managing data better

I just discovered a fairly large data loss. As mentioned in a previous post, I rebuilt my laptop due to a failed HDD. Unfortunately (no one is looking, you can raise your hand if this has ever happened to you), I had a fair amount of data on that drive which was not backed up.

To paraphrase Hall and Oates, its gone. So, to paraphrase the unofficial motto of Chicago ("Vote early, vote often"), Save early, save often.

As promised in my previous blog, I'm going to spend a bit of time on Lego, because as far as my data is concerned, it is handled a bit differently than the other items which I am cataloging.

Lego and I go way back, but I didn't attempt to catalog my Lego collection until fairly recently. I've given consideration to including Lego in the "big database" (Forty-Two), but have found that- at least for me in this particular application, Excel is the better tool for me to use. Let me try to unpack that a bit.

Some time ago, I had the opportunity to observe how several different businesses utilized software to work with data. Some preferred Microsoft Access, and most preferred Microsoft Excel, or, to be a bit more generic, spreadsheets were preferred over databases. In only one business were both used- but independently, rather than in a complimentary fashion. The preference of software had little to do with function, generally speaking. Rather, it was more about culture and familiarity. In every case I observed, the results could have been improved simply by not just "thinking outside the box," but merely by thinking.

In my case, a spreadsheet seems to be the best solution- based upon my experience. My primary reasoning behind this is because Lego is a single thing which does not need to be linked (or, related) to anything else. And, even though I may be interested in a bit of analysis of the Lego "population", in the larger scheme of things Lego exists in its own unique bubble: shapes, colors, themes, sizes. I could build tables based upon these and other categories, but once again, they would relate only to Lego.

Forty-Two, on the other hand, illustrates quite well the differences between a flat database (the Lego spreadsheet) and a relational database (Forty-Two). With the Lego spreadsheet, I can see a snapshot of all the facts of my Lego collection. But with Forty-Two I can write an ad hoc query to tell me where all Lord of the Rings media is located. It would show where each book, soundtrack, game and video is located. It would also show the number of copies in a given format. It would also tell me the last time the media was viewed.

There's also one additional aspect of Lego databasing which is unrelated to software, but makes cataloging it so much easier: storage.

I'm an AFOL (Adult Fan of Lego). AFOL is a title; more of a descriptor, actually, as it really doesn't carry any of the clout that, say, CCNA carries. Still, it differentiates me from most adults who play with their kids while playing with Lego. And, its somewhat hard to say that without sounding like some sort of pompous jerk, because it sounds like I'm slamming parents who "play" Lego with their kids. Quite the contrary! If you're a parent who engages with your kids over a pile of Lego, kudos to you!

An AFOL, though, uses Lego as their primary creative medium. There are professional Lego artists out there who make a good living by building amazing models for corporate clients. There are also educators who use Lego in either a standard classroom setting, or in a program for ASD (autism spectrum disorder) kids. Even architects use Lego for models. And although each of these examples is an example of adults working with Lego for a living, the typical AFOL is something else.

They're a bit of a subject expert on Lego. They probably have some advanced building skills. But mostly, I think, they are something of a type of a Leonardo da Vinci. They are probably the precursors of the maker movement, which is another subject entirely.

Back on track: AFOLs need organization, and the English word for this is storage. Over the course of many years, many bricks (elements) will be collected. I've found that the (current) best way to keep track of these is to put them in plastic bags (connected in groups of 10) with a card inside indicating the count and the date of the count. These, in turn, reside in drawer organizers.   

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis ad management so you don't have to.



No comments:

Post a Comment