Monday, December 2, 2013

Data never sleeps

Hey, hey, my, my. I'm not a fan of Neil Young, but that's a great song. It was Saturday night, and I found myself at one of the Secret Underground Lair's remote sites. It was close to midnight- relatively late for this particular Saturday. I had a serious case of the nods, and my trusty Logitech G105 keyboard was threatening to tattoo QWERTY into my forehead if I didn't shut down soon. Just one more small task, really- I had a few titles to enter into the database, then off to La La Land.

I have at least hinted in the past, I think, that we are strong embracers of the dull edge of technology- the bleeding edge moves too fast, costs too much, and loses its sheen in a hurry. So on Black Friday, Daniel hiked over to our local Gamestop in search of a few games, and to get a 1st Gen Wii, RVL 001. As I have a deep and abiding dislike of lines (queues), I opted to drive out closer to midnight. When I arrived, I was shocked to see a group of about forty people waiting in freezing temperature to get into the store, several later emerging with the just released Xbox One. While waiting I ran into Ryan, my cohort in comedy, and we chatted for some time. Well, up until the point where he started freezing- at that point, he went home, and I continued to wait. After about forty minutes, Daniel emerged with a case of the happys. We walked over to the Target store, and browsed around a bit before going home, and then off to bed.

Which catches me up to where I started. We ended having to go back to Gamestop on Saturday, as the Wii was a later Gen, and did not have... wait for it... Gamecube ports. So, he exchanged it, and because of the model, got some store credit- more games were acquired. I decided to enter all of this into the database and call it a night. I clicked the NEW RECORD arrow, and noticed that I had not alpha sorted the table, so I sorted it and much to my surprise, there was a dupe record! I went into Design View, and much to my shock, this field was not indexed. I'd been duped! I went back into datasheet view, and replaced the dupe with one of the new titles. Then, I went back and changed the field property to Indexed (No Duplicates) and saved.

Well, I tried to save. To make a long story short, there were close to twenty duped records in that table of 900+. It took nearly an hour to find all of them and replace them with new data. I was really upset, because I thought I had this under control... as Buford Tannen said, "Ya thought wrong, Dude". Never assume anything- even about your own data!

Which brings me to today (Monday). As I'm working this evening, I'm going to catch a nap. But before that, just a quick peek at the database. Everything is working properly, but I need a query to generate a simple checklist for digital video media (DVDs and Blurays), so I made a simple one and printed... yeah, it wouldn't print. That was ~45 minutes ago. I've had more than enough fun for one day with this- it is nap-thirty.

On a happy note, this post marks the one year of this blog. I'd like to thank the Academy, etc., and cutting to the chase, "AND WORLD PEACE". Yippie kay yay, folks.

Most significantly, I just recently achieved the only objective I had set for this blog: at least one view on each continent (Antarctica doesn't count). 

AS always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment