Sunday, December 22, 2013

Happy Christmas... war is not over

Growing up in the United States during the Sixties, idiosyncrasies and undiagnosed A.D.D. notwhithstanding, I still was a bit odd. I grew up in Chicago. And the music I listened to through my formative years was Country and Western. Now, before any hardcore fans get their feathers ruffled, I understand that there is a difference between Country, and Western. It was best explained in a sort of truism I once heard: "Country" is sung by a group, bragging about stealin' a cowboy's horse and kissin' his girl. "Western" is sung by a guy who had his horse stolen and his girl kissed by a group of singing guys.

So, I came onto the rock and roll scene a bit late, but embraced it. (In some circles, it is suggested that to really reach someone, you must speak in the language of their soul...I sometimes think my soul's native language is music).

Flash forward to the late 70's, and college. I had been listening to all sorts of music at this point, but my best friend Mark was a huge Beatles fan, and we formed a Beatles parody group, "performing" at a college coffeehouse or two and suffering the ultimate ignominy at a Gong Show at Chicago's Tuddi Toots (a fern bar of questionable spelling!)

Amid all of this, I immersed myself in the Beatles, and particularly John Lennon, who for no good reason to think of I identified with. I wasn't particularly crazy about his music (or that of Yoko Ono or the Plastic Ono Band), but I did listen to it from time to time. This all comes about as I've recently heard one or two remakes of "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" from forgettable pop diva(ettes).

And to all who have recorded this song, or wish to: DON'T. You're not John Lennon, you're not a Beatle, and more than likely, your collective body of work is not art- it stinks. So don't drag this song down to your particular level of mediocrity. Next: its an okay song, having very little to do with Christmas.

Which brings me to the final point of this post, and that is Christmas. Our church has had a sermon series about Christmas which has gotten me to do some thinking about Christmas.

For those not familiar with Western traditions, Christmas is a pretty powerful one. As I've matured, I've come to realize that there is a peculiar American secular view of Christmas which, although it does not necessarily have much to do with Jesus Christ, does have some value in our culture. In this secular view, it is a time where we reconnect with family, give gifts, perform acts of charity, and are generally nice.It occurs in winter, and there are all sorts of winter-themed songs about Christmas. Its a huge party.

In reality, though....

Jesus Christ is THE most misunderstood person in history. We, who claim Jesus Christ to be our  Lord and Savior, see Christmas as anyone else might see a birthday (as an example)- Dec 25th is the date which we commemorate his birth. It is not an annual rebirth (if you don't get this- check out the last birthday party you went to). It's a birthday party! And even if you don't get Jesus, you're welcome to the party.

No data tonight, no programming updates, just a merry Christmas, from our home to yours. If you're wondering about Christianity or Jesus Christ, here's a neat site I found.

Peace, Love and TQM- as always, I am hochspeyer, blogging database management and analysis so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment