Sunday, December 8, 2013

Let It Snow

I had planned on starting this blog off with some weather comments. Sadly, I was not able to really differentiate between astronomical and meteorological winter, so we're stuck with my definition: it's past October, the wind is blowing and the snow is sticking. And, the salt trucks are out.

As the readership of this blog is quite geographically diverse, I once again need to take a few steps back and explain nearly everything I've written. I live near Chicago- actually, quite close to O'Hare Airport (ORD), and it it pretty much winter here. I know this because the temperature has been in the single digits and low teens on the Fahrenheit scale. As I write this, its Tuesday the 10th of December. Over the past two days we've officially gotten 3" (~7.6cm) of snow, and 2-4" (5-10cm) is predicted to fall today. The lowest overnight low temperature that I saw tonight was -1F (~ -18C). I blame all of this recent temperature recording partly on a coworker who is a native of Arkhhangelsk (Архáнгельск). This coworker has expressed a desire to return home, but is at the same time what we'd call a "freezy-cat": the office is always too cold! So, on one particularly cold day last week I looked up the temperature in Arkhangelsk, and it was actually warmer by a couple of degrees (F). I said, "You can go back to Russia. Its warmer there." The irony here is that Arkhangelsk is more than 1,500 miles (~3300km) to the NORTH of Chicago! 


Has anyone tried the #hourofcode yet? This is the week to give programming a chance. It doesn't hurt, and its free! Try W3schools- they offer FREE training in half a dozen web-related languages. All free, and with a nicely designed site that offers instant gratification- this is as close to painless training as it gets! 

I've worked a bit on the database since the last post. Nothing stupendous to report, but the data is getting cleaner. That's progress, and I'm calling this a day!

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment