Saturday, April 26, 2014

A database, by any other name...

Some data news, and a question, if anyone has an answer.

It seems like a long time since my last blog was posted, but in reality its only been a few days (*I wrote this four days ago!). I've mentioned this before, but I often feel like Quantum Leap's Dr. Sam Beckett right after a leap: my brain is Swiss cheese, and I find myself asking Jenifer- at least once per week- what day it is. I'm usually okay on the weekends, but most other days are up for grabs. Since our garbage and recycle is picked up on Tuesday, when I get home after working on Monday, I know it's Tuesday. I have no such landmarks for the rest of the week, though... except for our whiteboard.

The whiteboard is mounted on the wall directly behind and slightly above Jennifer's monitor. We've had it for a number of years. Its original purpose was homeschooling, but it gradually evolved into a family messaging center. Jennifer will usually put tomorrow's activities on the board, and I will put my wakeup time there also.

As far as data news goes, I'm happy to report that no data was lost in the recent, unexplained database meltdown. I still don't know what happened ( and expect that I never will), but I suddenly lost the ability to add data to several tables. I ended up exporting all of the tables into Excel spreadsheets, and then importing them back into an empty Access database. I had a few issues with this (the problem resurfaced!), but I was able to fix this, and in my spare time over the past few days have been formatting the new tables. As this is done, my next task is getting rid of old data that was based on table relationships. The final phase in the restoration of the database will be the rebuilding of relationships.

That's all for this blog. I hope (work permitting) to get another blog up in the next few days. Until then...

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.




No comments:

Post a Comment