Sunday, April 13, 2014

T minus 100, or possibly M minus 100... or so

In my last post, I had mentioned (well, okay, it was the topic of the post) that Jennifer and I had purchased a new 2014 Subaru Outback from Grand Subaru- and I'm giving them another plug because we were THAT pleased with our experience there). I've only seen Sandy interact with a few other customers, but I've observed a technique she uses that I like. Just before a prospective customer heads out the door for a test drive, she always (in a good-natured tone of voice) admonishes them to "keep it under 120!" (~190KPH). As one who has sold things for a living in the past, I can appreciate her particular choice of words.  On the surface, she's reminding the prospect to be careful, and that she is responsible for the vehicle. Peel a layer or two off, and its a reminder that the 2.5L engine under the hood is a beast that has won rally races around the world- after all, this ain't your father's Oldsmobile (old General Motors advertising slogan). Finally, on another entirely different level, its an invitation to let the clutch out and mash your right foot down and just get a taste of what you could have....

(*ahem) But I digress.

When we took delivery of our Outback, Sandy took us to the garage/service area of the dealership and gave us a whirlwind tour of some of the car's features. Just before we left, she advised us to read the manual as questions came up and call/email her for anything. And, make sure to observe the 500 mile break-in period (well, I thought she said 500 miles; a website I saw recently recommends 1000 miles [1600Km]). This latest discovery bums me out, as we just turned over 406 miles on the odometer.

The car still has not experienced 5th or 6th gear. (FRACK!FRACK!FRACK!)

I SO want to get this car on the open road and use those gears!

In other news, Jennifer was down in the Secret Underground Lair last night asking about dinner. I was working on my media library and listening to a Backstreet Boys song. She raised her eyebrows at this, as I am decidedly NOT a Backstreet Boys sort of person in any stretch of the imagination. So, I had to show her the YouTube video of two Chinese dudes lip-synching this song. And then I got to thinking about YouTube videos which had become memes.... at least in my e-world; Stuff like Numa Numa... which, of course, I also had to watch. But I did not watch Boxxy. In fact, I am not even going to post a link to Boxxy... if you don't know Boxxy, I am not going to lead you down this particular rabbit hole. You'll just have to look Boxxy up on your own.

On the data front,, there's nothing new to report. My Music Recordings table is functional, and the database now lives on an actual HDD. Going forward, the backup will be on a flash drive rather than the flash being the primary storage.

Finally, I recently had the opportunity to participate in a discussion in an Excel group I am a member of on LinkedIn. The topic was essentially how can an Excel "power user" be defined; that is, what is the minimum skillset needed to be recognized as such? Well, I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I started my contribution to the discussion by saying that I am certainly not a power user, but at times have been a subject matter expert. My feeling about power users is that they should have the ability to use both Excel and Access, and have to discern which is the better solution- or, use them together when necessary.  

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to (and, for the moment, our Outback).


No comments:

Post a Comment