Saturday, April 5, 2014

You just HAD to talk about drivers, didn't you?


Last week the drivers were in vehicles. Today its all about the motherboard.

As previously mentioned, Mr. T and I completed Jennifer's new computer this past Sunday, the 30th of March. We didn't have much of an opportunity to do much other than physically set it up on her desk- we didn't do much in the way of burn in or testing, and I paid for that today. Dinner and a movie... and no internet.

As detailed in the previous blog Seven, we survived dinner without a movie, and on Monday I did indeed get the beastie online. From there, I was able to get updates to various drivers. So the PC is now functional, although still not 100%. There is a fair amount of software that needs to be reloaded, and most of it will be installed on the as-yet-to-be-named hard drive; I say it that way because although the PC knows there is a drive there, the drive has not been initialized yet. I get the idea that this is something that was a new feature to Windows 7, as I don't believe I've ever encountered anything like this in XP. As I recall, adding a HDD to XP is pretty simple: physically install it, boot the PC and make sure that it is recognized, and then when Windows boots, format it. We'll see how that goes.

Until that happens, I can't install Microsoft Office, because I believe it cannot be installed on an external drive. I also need Nero for viewing Blu Ray, and Jennifer's card program, as well as probably another dozen "necessary" programs.

So as far as the PC goes, I'm at an impasse... more news will be posted when I have more news.

Until then, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to .

No comments:

Post a Comment