Sunday, April 20, 2014

One of our dumbbells is missing

In my casual research of the title of this latest blog installment, I found at least half a dozen movies or television episodes that had were similar... instead of "dumbbells", substitute "Planets", "Aircraft", or "Dinosaurs" and you get the idea. The title came to me at the gym recently- actually, the staff there calls it the "fitness center" to differentiate it from the gymnasium, which has a polished hardwood floor, and in which basketball and volleyball games are played. And this is not to be confused with das Gymnasium, which in Germany is what we in the United States would call a high school. And just for fun, in Great Britain, it seems that a secondary school can be referred to as a grammar school, while in the United States a grammar school is a primary school.

But yes, one of the dumbbells was indeed missing from the milieu. There is a rack for the small (lighter) dumbbells near the emergency exit, and the dumbbells on this small pyramid range from 1lb (less that .5kg) up to 15lbs (just under 7KG). When doing pullovers, I generally start with a single 15lb'er and increase the weight by 5lbs per set of 8-10 reps. So even though I didn't need a pair of weights, I found it odd that one was absent. In any event, I did my set, replaced the weight and found its errant sibling: it was holding a door open! It seems that the dumbbell was standing in for a missing electric fan (which is usually near the door). Oh well, mystery solved.

In car news, we've finally broken 500 miles (1100km). Only another 500 miles until I can break the 4K RPM barrier and hit 5th gear! That could be a long time with my modest commute!

Lastly, database news.

I have a problem with my database which is getting worse. Earlier today, I tried to recreate a table from the old database (right now everything is Win7 and Office10). I had exported all of the tables from the failing database into Excel spreadsheets a few days ago, just to preserve the data. Today, I created a new, empty Access database, and imported one of these spreadsheets to create a new table. Much to my surprise, the new table has the same problem as the old database- I cannot add records (and these are all legal, legit, etc. My Microsoft Windows 7 and Office Professional 2010 are both legal, legit copies ( and by default, so is the source spreadsheet where the data was being stored). So, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

As always, I am hochspeyer, blogging data analysis and management so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment